As you set out on your summer trip remember to do your part in Keeping Virginia Beautiful! Here are 5 easy steps you can take during your travels to reduce, reuse and recycle!
- Bring a reusable water bottle on your trip! This is an easy way to stay hydrated throughout your journey! Certain water bottle companies now have the option of water bottles with a purification system that will allow tap water to filter before it reaches your mouth! These water bottles will allow you to fill up at almost any gas station or rest area as well as help you to reduce your plastic consumption and prevent the temptation of littering!
- Use small refill bottles for toiletries. This smart tip will help save space in your suitcase and prevent you from having to buy travel-sized products that are wasteful to the environment. Small bottles will allow you to bring the perfect amount of your favorite and save you money as well.
- Utilize an area’s public transportation! If traveling to an area where public transportation is offered try to take advantage of this service! Public transportation is a great way to get the local feel of an area and will save you money! This is also an extra opportunity to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Respect Local Culture! When travelling to a certain region, make sure you educate yourself on the customs and cultures of that area. Supporting local businesses is a great way to do your part in sustaining their economy and will allow funds to feed back into that community!
- Search out “green hotels” Many areas and eco-organizations offer lists of hotels that follow certain guidelines or have accreditations that are environmentally friendly. Lodging at destinations that support the environment is an easy way to have a comfortable stay while having the peace of mind that your hotel is doing their part for the green movement.
Remember to do your part to Keep Virginia Beautiful and Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Now get out there and revel in some scenery!