Date & Time
Date: March 27, 2020 - March 28, 2020
Time: All Day
The Great American Cleanup is an opportunity to transform your neighborhood and community into beautiful, healthy spaces. Beautiful places are environmentally healthy, socially connected and economically sound. They’re better places to raise families, start a business or go to school.
In 2019, more than 1,000 volunteers teamed up to clean up Hampton Roads for a successful Great American Cleanup. On Friday, May 3 and Saturday, May 4, volunteers from the community, military commands and local businesses across 13 participating municipalities worked together to rid the land and water of more than 15 tons of litter. Volunteers also mulched and weeded community gardens, planted trees and plants in parks, and freshened up structures and trash cans with new coats of paint. In total, 71 locations across 13 cities and counties were spruced up thanks to the hard work of our volunteers and partners.
What: National Kickoff to the Great American Cleanup is a two-day effort to remove litter and improve community appearance across all 17 cities and counties in Hampton Roads. Community beautification projects include:
- Removing litter from roadsides, neighborhoods, beaches, waterways, and parks for cleaner communities
- Planting trees, flowers and community gardens to strengthen green infrastructure
- Restoring nature trails, parks and playgrounds to encourage outdoor activity
- Recycling old or unwanted items junking up your home or yard
- Restoring business districts and thoroughfares to encourage economic development
When: Cleanup events will take place Friday, March 27 and Saturday, March 28. There will be pre-planned events that you can join or you can lead cleanup efforts in a spot of your choosing with the support of your local Clean Community Coordinator.
Who: Everyone has a role to play in keeping Hampton Roads beautiful. From individuals to families, school groups to civic organizations, small businesses to large corporations. YOU can make a difference for your community.
How: Simply complete the form below to become a volunteer or sponsor.
- Volunteers will be connected with a Team Up 2 Clean Up project in a city or county of their choosing or invited to start their own community project with assistance from the local Clean Community Coordinator.
- Sponsorships are available at differing dollar amounts to help support clean communities in Hampton Roads and across the state. Proceeds will benefit Keep Virginia Beautiful and litter prevention efforts in Hampton Roads. Questions about sponsorship? Send questions to Mike Baum, Executive Director of Keep Virginia Beautiful, at [email protected].
Join askHRgreen.org as we clean up Hampton Roads this spring!